Thursday, May 19, 2016

Fear of the Dark



“Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a constant fear that something's
Always near
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a phobia that someone's
Always there”

These lines, from Iron Maiden – Fear of the Dark, explain everything I feel when I am alone in the night.  The feeling that someone is always there when you get up in the night take a leak or to drink some water. The fear increases when you lie down and are not able to sleep. You turn from one side to the other, but then you are scared even to do that as you feel there is something on the other side. I really hope its not only me. 

Many people like to see horror movies. Now there are 3 kinds of people (there may be more) who watch horror movies:
1. Who watch because they find the thrill of a horror movie experience
2. Who watch it just to make fun of the movie, as in what’s scary about it
3. Who watch it out of compulsion to watch such movies and are sure to have sleepless nights.

Now I belong to the 3rd category. That is probably the worst of the 3. You know you are scared of the thing called ghosts. You know they scare you. You know you are not going to be able to sleep. But you still have to see it. Curiosity killed the cat they say. But it kills my sleep.

                                                         Source: ifunny.co

When I was around the age of 3-4 years, I am told that I used to tag along with my elder brother to go the bathroom or to fetch a glass of water, or something as he was scared to go alone.. Now years later everything has changed. 

You appreciate the horrorness (is that even a word) of a movie or a book by the amount of time you spend seeing stuff in the darkness and losing sleep over it. 

I like to see horror movies even though I know I am to regret it later. I like to listen to stories from people whether true ones or made up ones. Those are even scarier because it’s your mind that is painting the picture. Reading horror stories is really scary because it’s your mind doing all the imagination. I have been trying to get myself to read The Shining by Stephen King, but have still not started just because almost everyone says that it’s one of the scariest books. 

Talking about reading horror stories, while browsing the internet I came with the concept of one or two line horror stories and I was like how can that scare you. But it surely can. Here are a couple of the good ones I read.

-I begin tucking him into bed and he tells me, "Daddy, check for monsters under my bed." I look underneath for his amusement and see him, another him, under the bed, staring back at me quivering and whispering, "Daddy, there's somebody on my bed."

-I just saw my reflection blink. 

Reading such creepy one liners gives me the chills.  I really don’t know how I’ll find the courage to read The Shining. Hoping to do it soon. 

Let me see where the quest for horror stories/movies takes me. Hopefully I’ll become immune to this genre. But then by being immune will it take the thrill away?

Over and out.

No comments: