Sunday, February 22, 2009

My First Blog


Finally my first blog....

Alas!! the journey to start my blog has finally come to an end...It has taken almost 2 years for me to even make a domain..

Lets go back in time to March 17th 2007.
The day is still vivid in my mind. Its the day my most favourite metal band "IRON MAIDEN" was coming to India (Bangalore) for a concert for the 1st time. I had come to know about this 2-3 months before. I was ecstatic hearing the news only to have my heart ripped out a month before the concert. I HAD AN EXAM ON THE SAME DAY. Many thoughts were running through my mind. Some were realistic (Actually only one was). Some were plain anger and sadness and frustration talking. The realistic one was I could catch a flight to Bangalore and make it to the concert. But I couldn't. As I did not get the thing that would have made me happy, excited and what not.............The NOD from my parents saying "Yes, my son yes, you can go to the concert". And the other thoughts were, well, i should not talk about it. My exam that day did not go well. After my exam I made a plan with my friends to go for the movie "300" which was good, but I could not enjoy to the full. By the end of the day I was thinking this is the worst day ever. It was not over yet. This same day India had its opening WORLD CUP'07 match. I thought if India could slaughter Bangladesh that would help me a lot. BUT it didn't. India lost after a dismal performance. I was like "God, why are you doing this to me". After the longest day of my life i went to sleep. Before I fell asleep the whole day came back to me and I thought, the movie was the only good thing today. It was a silver lining in an otherwise very very very dark day.
A few days later i thought i would write a blog on that day to get the anguish out. BUT I didn't.

Now lets jump to 21st October 2007
This was the day I had been waiting for almost 5 years then. This was the day when Kimi Raikkonen became the Formula 1 World Drivers Champion. The race was eventful. The favorites to win the race and with it the championship - Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso - were almost at war against each other which showcased their run through the year as teammates. None of them were letting the other go ahead. It was like only a matter of time before they crash into each other and take themselves out of the reckoning. Atleast I was hoping for that. As things turned out be, Hamilton had some tyre issues and was pushed down the order. As for Alonso I don't exactly remember. I think he was just at some position which was enough for Kimi to win the Championship. Kimi won the championship with lead of a mere 1 point.
Again I thought I would write a blog. BUT I didn't.

Now lets jump to 1st February 2008
I can never forget this day. On this day the Gods of Metal descended to India again and this time to my city Mumbai. Yes, Iron Maiden were to play in Mumbai. Mumbai was the 1st stop on their world tour SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME. They played songs from their 1st few albums - Powerslave, Iron Maiden, Piece Of Mind etc etc.... The gates for the concert were to open at around 4.00 pm. We reached there well before time. The concert was opened by Chennai based band called NERVERECK or NEVRECK, I still dont know. The music played by them was OK. Then came Lauren Harris daughter of Steve Harris (a guitarist of Iron Maiden). Her songs somehow were not at all a proper build up to Iron Maiden. Lauren Harris was only a visual treat rather than a treat to the ears. And then came onstage Parikrama. They played their famous numbers Tears Of The Wizard, But It Rained and others. By this time the crowd was getting restless, they were shouting at the top of their lungs MAIDEN MAIDEN. Then there was some sound testing done. Then it started. Iron Maiden hit the stage. Churchill's Speech right after it ACES HIGH. The crowd goes berserk listening to the guitars, drums and then Bruce's (Bruce Dickinson- vocalist) voice. The crowd was singing along with him, it was just an amazing feeling which I don't think will be able to put in words. They played a few other songs - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Powerslave, Revelations etc - and of course the anthems, Fear Of The Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name. The anthems played by them was drowned by the chorus of thousands of Metalheads. The concert ended at around 10 pm. Everyone was still in a trance, atleast I was. I returned home. I had just lived a dream of singing along with Maiden live. For the next 3-4 days my voice was down, my neck muscles were aching (because of all the headbanging), was still in a trance. But none of it bothered me(except the trance part) as my dream came true.
This was the best time to write a blog for me. BUT I didn't.

Racing to 31st December 2008
The New Year's Eve had arrived. It felt as if it was just yesterday that I was celebrating the new year's eve. The celebration of New Year's eve 2008 was very exciting, had a night out with friends and well, we had a lot of fun. This time around I don't know why but it was just the opposite. It was the lamest, saddest and.....and.... don't know what else. A few of my friends had relatives come over or were out with other "friends". Somehow I managed to get my friends to come out of their homes and we went to play Pool. And then I said lets have dinner. To this they said they already had dinner and come. After arguing for a while I managed to convince them for some kind of snack. But NOOOOO, on New Year's Eve none of the stalls were open. It felt as if the whole world was against me. I said fine, enough is enough, I'm going home. And I remember it was 12.07 am that I was back home.This is the earliest I've ever returned home on New Year's Day. I was surprisingly very hungry that night. So I tried my luck and called up Domino's( I was happy they were open) and ordered a pizza. I ate the pizza watching Pirates Of Th Caribbean - At World's End. This was another silver lining on a rather dark night.
I thought i would write on my saddest New Year celebration. BUT as you know I didn't.

15th February 2009
Iron Maiden was to play again in Bangalore. And just like last time they played at this very venue I couldn't go because I had an exam on a Sunday. All the memories of 17th Mar'07 came rushing back to me. But this time around I tried to give my exam seriously, which I did. I also called up my brother (who incidentally has been to all the 3 Maiden concerts) mid concert to listen to a few songs. The songs were not clear even for a bit, but was happy to atleast listen to that bit LIVE. I realised one never gets what one wants in life. I had to write a blog now. If it is not now then I'll never write. I rambled on in my mind for the topic to write the blog but couldn't find one. And then I thought why not write a blog on the various opportunities I had to blog BUT I didn't.

22nd February 2009
Finally I'm writing my blog. If only I could travel time like I did in this blog and relive these incidents if possible change a few I will be very happy. Can't do that. Ah!!!

Well, that's it for now.
Over and Out.

10 comments:

Ashwin Dikshit said...

Nice start bro....and don't worry maiden will be back next year and hopefully u'll be able to watch them live again.......

Addicted To Chaos said...

Hey, good surprise to see you here Jun. Hopefully you carry on writing unlike your brother :P. You do write well, so would love to read more of your stuff!

As for feeling sad about missing Maiden concerts, dude, don't even get me started!

Through The Looking Glass said...

@Ashwin : Thanks bro...
@Satwik : Thanks Sats...Hopefully will continue blogging....I know I can't compare about feeling sad with you...But, its just difficult not to feel sad when your has been there 3 times and you only once....

Through The Looking Glass said...

@ Satwik : correction *when your brother has....

Sudhamshu said...

Writing as in confessing is a wonderful release. I understand your angst at not being able to write in all those wonderful / distressing occasions. A good beginning is a job half-done. Continue it :). Maiden's will come & go, Kimis will come & go, even New Year's will come & go. You will always find something to write about! :)

Through The Looking Glass said...

@Sudhu : Ya I know...Now that I've written the 1st blog many ideas are coming to mind....The 1st blog was a problem...I will continue to write.....

Goofy Benedict said...

Nice to see you here, that's 3 in the family; and man you are good with dates (i mean what happened on which day) [or you kept googling for the events as you wrote]. Nonetheless it's a good start, and i sincerely hope it rocks from here on.
N don worry bout maiden, they've already equaled the number of times Brain Adams has come to India, n will come many more times, i would ask you to keep your eyes peeled for bands like opeth as well.

Through The Looking Glass said...

@Abu : Thanks man....I do remember these dates because they have either been really sad or the opposite.....Felt no need to google them....I would not miss the chance to see Opeth if I do get one.....

Goofy Benedict said...

Dont worry about it brother, there will be plenty of chances to come

Vihang Dixit said...

Your blog is dead. I suppose your journey really has come to an end. :P